Tuesday, 9th November 2021
The festival of Gyan Panchami is celebrated on the fifth day of Deepawali. It is also known as ‘Laabh Panchami’ or ‘Saubhaagya Panchami’.
Gyan meaning knowledge is regarded as the light of the inner soul. Gyan helps in realizing the difference between truth and false.
Gyan Panchami is the day of worship of pure knowledge. On this day, followers of Jain religion express their affection and respect for ancient scriptures. The scriptures are worshiped. Knowledge is invaluable for everyone. It is a form of wealth that expands on distribution. Knowledge always illuminates the path of life.
Five types of Gyan
- Mati (Sensory) Gyan: Knowledge acquired by the five senses (skin, tongue, nose, eyes and the nose)
- Shrut (Study) Gyan: Knowledge acquired by the use of the five senses from anywhere by studying, speaking, listening and reading of letters/words, symbols or signs.
- Avadhi (Clairvoyance)Gyan: Knowledge attained that gives information outside one’s normal sense of perception or the supernatural power of seeing objects or actions removed in space or time from natural viewing without the help of books, senses or objects of the mind (media). It is also known as Divine knowledge.
- Manahparyav (Telepathy) Gyan: Knowledge that informs the mind, thoughts etc. of others without the use of senses.
- Keval (Omniscience) Gyan: Full knowledge. Knowledge of everything of all time periods, past, present, and future is known as Keval Gyan.
Gyan Panchami Worship
Worship Rituals for Gyan Panchami
This tap commences on the fifth day of the month of Kartik. If possible, a Fast, Ekasanu, Biyasanu, Aymbil or absteniance of a meal after sunset should be observed.
Place a Book of Knowledge on a raised platform. Deepak, Dhoop, Akshat, Naivedya and Fruit can be placed. Pen, Pencil, Notebook, Money (Items of Knowledge) can also be placed to honour Knowledge.
With hands folded recite the Gyan Stutis.
1. Nivaanan-Magge Var-Jaan-Kappam
Mayam Jinnanam Saranam Buhaanam
Namaami Niccham Tijgappahaanam
2. Boddhagaadham Su-Pad-Padavi-Nir-Puraabhiraam
Chulaavelam Gurugam-Mani-Sankul Door-Paaram
Then perform Vasakshep Puja if available. Take Vasakshep in your right hand and perform Puja on the Religious Book as follows:
* Place Vasakshep on the top right corner and say Om Shri Matigyaanay Namah!
* Then the bottom right corner and say Om Shri Shrutgyaanay Namah!
* Then bottom left corner and say Om Shri Avdhigyaanau Namah!
* Then top left corner and say Om Shri Manhaparyavgyaanay Namah!
* Finally in the middle and say Om Shri Kevalgyaanay Namah!
After performing Vasakshep Puja, if you wish you can perform Dhoop, Deepak, make 5 or 51 Swastika, place Naivedya on the Swastikas and Fruit on the Siddha Shila.
Shri Khamasaman Sutra
Vandium Javanijjaae Nisihiae
Recite the following Gyan Doha, performing Khamasaman after each.
- Shri Mati Gyan Doha
Samakita-Shraddhaavantane, Upanyo Gyaan-Prakaash
Pranamu Padakaja Tehana, Bhaav Dhari Ullaas
Om Rhim Shri Mati Gyanaayay Namo Namah!
Then perform 1 or 28 Khamasaman.
- Shri Shrut Gyan Doha
Pavayan Shrut Siddhanant Te aagam Samay Vakhaan
Pujo Bahuvidh Raagshu Charan Kamal Chitt Aan
Om Rhim Shri Shrut Gyanaayay Namo Namah!
Then perform 1 or 14 Khamasaman.
- Shri Avadhi Gyan Doha
Upanyo Avadhigyan No Gun Jehane Avikaar
Vandana Tehne Maahri, Svaas Maahe so vaar
Om Rhim Shri Avadhi Gyanaayay Namo Namah!
Then perform 1 or 6 Khamasaman.
- Shri Man:Paryav Gyan Doha
Ae Gun Jehne Upanyo, Sarvavirti Gun Khaan
Panamu Het Thi Tehna Charan Kamal Chitt Aan
Om Rhim Shri Man:Paryav Gyanaayay Namo Namah!
Then perform 1 or 2 Khamasaman.
5. Keval Gyan Doha
Param Jyoti Paavankaran, Parmatam Pardhaan
Kevalgyan Puji Kari, Paamo Kevalgyan
Om Rhim Shri Keval Gyanaayay Namo Namah!
Then perform 1 or 1 Khamasaman.
Chaityavandan can be performed if desired.
*Then take a Khamasaman and recite – Ichha Kaaren Sandisah Bhagwan, Shri Matigyaan, Shri Shrutgyaan, Shri Avadhigyaan Shri Manhaparyavgyaan, Shri Kevalgyaan Araadhnaarthe Kaussagga Karu? Icchham.
* Shri Matigyaan, Shri Shrutgyaan, Shri Avadhigyaan Shri Manhaparyavgyaan, Shri Kevalgyaan Araadhnaarthe Karemi Kaussaggam.
* Then recite the Vandanvattiae Sutra
Vandanvattiae, Puanvattiae, Sakkarvattiae, Sammanvatiae
Saddhae, Mehae, Dhiae, Dhaaranae, Anuppehae,
Vaddhmaaniae, Thaami Kaussaggam
* Then recite the Annattha Sutra
Annattha Oosasienam, Nisasienam, Khaasienam,
Chhienam, Jambhaienam, Udduenam, Vayanisaggenam,
Evamaaiehim Aagaarehim, Abhaggo Aviraahio,
Hujja Me Kausaggo.
Jav Arihantaanam Bhagavantaanam,
Namukkaarenam, Na Paaremi.
Taav Kaayam, Thaanenam, Monenam,
Jhaanenam, Appaanam Vosirami.
* Then recite 5 or 51 Shri Loggassa Sutra (up to Chandesu Nimmalayara) (20 or 204 Navkar Mantra)
* Then recite the complete Shri Loggassa Sutra (4 Navkar Mantra).
Shri Loggassa Sutra
Usabha-Majiam Cha Vande,
Sambhava Mabhinandanam Cha Sumaim Cha,
Jinam Cha Chanda-ppaham Vande.
Suvihim Cha Puphadantam,
Sial Sijjansa Vasupujjam Cha,
Vimal-manantam Cha Jinam,
Dhammam Santim Cha Vandaami.
Kunthum Aram Cha Mallim,
Vande Muni-suvvayam Nami-Jinam Cha,
Paasam Tah Vaddhamaanam Cha.
Evam Mae Abhithua,
Chau-visam Pi Jinvara,
Titthayara Me Pasiyantu.
Kittiya Vandiya Mahiya,
Je Ee Logassa Uttama Siddha,
Samaahi Varamuttamam Dintu.
Aichchesu Ahiyam Payaasayara,
Siddha Siddhim Mam Disantu.
* Perform one Khamasaman
* Recite the Gyaan Mantra Jaap
Gyaan Mantra Jaap
Om Rhim Shrim Naananassa – 20 Navkaarvaali or as many Mala as possible.
* Perform one Khamasaman and recite:
Gyaan Araadhna Karta Je Koi Dosh Laagyo Hoi, Te Savi Hu Man, Vachan, Kayae Kari Michhammi Dukkadam!
Please note: A recording of the complete Gyan Panchami Vidhi is also sent for all to follow.
It is extremely fruitful to honour and celebrate Gyan. Please try to perform the worship rituals as much as possible. If it is not possible to follow all, please try to perform the Gyan Mantra Jaap at least.
To download details in Gujarati, click here.
To download Audio recording Click Here.